Allergic reactions can be life threatening. Food allergies are the leading cause of anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction. Severe and sometimes fatal reactions (anaphylaxis) may occur in students with previously unidentified allergies.
Billings Public Schools, in order to improve student safety has developed a protocol to stock emergency epinephrine in accordance with Montana Code Annotated 20-5-421. This law allows stock auto-injectable epinephrine to be administered by a BPS Registered Nurse or other trained personnel to any student or non-student as needed for actual or perceived anaphylaxis.
Please note: students with known allergies and prescriptions are required to continue to provide prescription medication and appropriate paperwork to the school office. Please note that school stocked epipens cannot be taken off school grounds.
In accordance with the law, a BPS Registered Nurses provide training annually to all designated personnel authorized to administer epinephrine. The training includes the following: causes of anaphylaxis, recognition of signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis, indications for the administration of epinephrine, the administration technique, and the need for immediate access to a certified emergency responder.
To initiate treatment that might otherwise be delayed.
To lessen symptoms, which are understandably frightening to a student.
To possibly prevent progression to anaphylaxis (anaphylactic shock and/or airway closure) in most severe cases.