National Honors Society
® The National Honor Society and NHS are duly registered trademarks of the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP). Unauthorized copying or use of said trademarks is strictly prohibited.
Service Credit Policy
National Honor Society (NHS) members have the opportunity to earn a service credit on their transcript if they meet the service requirements of the club. In order to earn the credit, the following requirements must be met:
- Members must complete 8 volunteer hours over the course of their senior year.
- Summer hours will not be counted. Members who were inducted as juniors can earn hours starting on the first day of school (08.24.21). Members who are inducted as seniors can earn hours starting on the date they are admitted to NHS.
- At least 2 of the 8 volunteer hours must come from NHS-sponsored events and/or meetings.
- NHS meetings with service projects will count for 1/2 hour each.
- Members are responsible for documenting hours from outside events using the form provided on the NHS website. Documentation of hours must be submitted no later than one week before the last day of school.
- Members may not double-count hours from other service groups. The club advisors will have the final say in determining what is considered double-counting.
- If members are unsure whether an outside volunteer opportunity can be counted toward the service credit, they should check with the club advisors before participating in the event.
- NHS Officers (President, Vice President, and Secretary) must earn all 8 of their hours through NHS-sponsored events.