During the winter storm season, people often wonder about delays or why buses run late. The Billings Schools’ 16,000+ students live within a large area where road conditions often vary widely during severe weather conditions. We consider road conditions and all other information available when deciding whether to operate on normal bus stops or alternative ones.
Below please find a list of areas that are commonly checked during severe weather conditions. Past experience has confirmed that these areas are places where school buses have a higher probability of getting stuck in the snow, so alternate bus stops have been established for these areas. More alternate bus stops could be added depending upon severe weather conditions, and the ability of school buses to maneuver safely through neighborhoods and subdivisions.
Commonly Checked Locations During Severe Weather Conditions
- Rehberg Ranch – All bus stops in Rehberg Ranch would be moved to the following alternate bus stop: Rifle Creek Trail @ Iron Horse Trail
- Yellowstone Country Club/Augusta Ranch – All bus stops in Yellowstone Country Club and Augusta Ranch (including Sam Snead Trail) would have the option of the following 2 alternate bus stops:
54th St. W. @ Rimrock Road, or
Molt Road @ Masters Blvd.
- Hidden Lake Subdivision, including Lorraine St. and all side streets that feed into Lorraine St., would have the following alternate bus stop: Hwy 87 N. @ Lorraine St.
- Becraft Lane/Noblewood Dr. (Lockwood) – All bus stops located south of Old Hardin Road between Becraft Lane and Noblewood Drive would have the following alternate bus stop: Becraft Lane @ Enfield Dr.
Alternate bus stops would not necessarily be limited to the above areas. Other areas could be included, depending upon weather conditions. Parents will be notified of alternate bus stops via media, school district website and automated phone calls no later than 6 a.m. on that day.
If the buses are using alternative bus stops, or if delays take place, we attempt to inform families and staff through a variety of ways. Communication with our Billings Public Schools’ families is paramount to our students’ and staff’s safety. Below is a brief list of resources parents may use to learn about alternative bus stops and other effects of adverse weather conditions.
- SchoolConnect System - automated telephone notification system notifies parents within 45 minutes of being launched. Parents need to be sure that all phone numbers are updated with their children’s schools.
- SD2 Emergency Information Line - Call 406-281-5193 for updates on severe weather conditions and emergencies.
- Stay connected with local TV, radio stations and the Billings Gazette.
- Check this website often for updates as well.