Dear Parents, Students and Staff,
As a result of the current and forecasted road conditions Billings Public Schools will be activating alternate bus stops through Wednesday afternoon (Special needs buses will run normal routes unless otherwise notified by the student’s bus driver). Please expect possible delays with buses running a bit behind and know that our bus drivers make student safety their number one priority.
Alternate bus stops are as follows:
1. Rehberg Ranch – All bus stops in Rehberg Ranch will be at:
Rifle Creek Trl @ Iron Horse Trl
2. Yellowstone Country Club/Augusta Ranch – All bus stops in Yellowstone Country Club and Augusta Ranch (including Sam Snead Trl) will be at:
54th St W @ Bobby Jones at the Yellowstone Family Park
3. Hidden Lake Subdivision (including Lorraine St and all side streets that feed into Lorraine St) will be at: Hwy 87 N @ Lorraine St
4. Interlachen Dr in the Heights will be at: Lakewood @ Interlachen
5. Any streets north of Rimrock Rd will have alternate bus stops ON Rimrock Rd at the intersecting street. Buses CANNOT travel on these streets when there is excessive snow and ice.
Other Inclement Weather Tips
Expect the bus to run late and be prepared for this event.
Please wait at the bus stop with your children until the bus picks them up. Students need the ability to get out of the elements in the event the bus is late.
Observe the following winter safety tips with your students who walk to and from the bus stops or schools:
Dress appropriately for cold weather – sweaters, pants, winter coats, hats, scarves, socks and boots.
Even when on a bus, it may not heat well in extreme cold, may breakdown, or might even get stuck.
Allow extra travel time to get to the bus stop or school.
Wear bright jackets or coats so bus drivers can easily see you in the morning or evening.
Stand at least 10 steps away or back from bus stops. Buses need extra room to stop when there is snow or ice.
Do not walk or play on snow mounds or ice within 10 feet of the roadway – you can fall and slip into the roadway and be at risk of being struck by a vehicle.
Do not cross the street at your bus stop until all traffic has come to a complete stop and the bus driver has signaled that it is safe to cross.
While we attempt to make the best safety decisions for the entire district, we respect the fact that parents must make the final decision on whether their children attend school or not during severe weather conditions. Also, please discourage our high school students from driving in bad conditions and offer them alternatives if weather conditions worsen.
Additional updates can be found on the Billings Public Schools website.